Construction slated to start this summer with lift-served skiing in 2018-19
Arapahoe Basin Ski Area announced today the implementation plan for its latest terrain expansion into The Beavers & The Steep Gullies. The commencement of this plan follows a comprehensive Master Planning Process and Environmental Review. Located to the west of the current ski area boundary, the new terrain will add approximately 468 acres of skiable terrain to Arapahoe Basin, bringing the ski areas total acreage to 1,428 acres upon completion of the project. The new terrain will accommodate a wide range of skiers, from intermediates to experts.
The terrain in The Beavers and The Steep Gullies is a tremendous addition for the ski area and our guests, said Alan Henceroth, Arapahoe Basin Chief Operating Officer. With everything from intermediate groomed runs to steep, narrow chutes, many of our skiers and riders will be able to enjoy the exceptional snow in these areas.
Terrain in The Beavers will include groomed intermediate blue runs, open bowl skiing and advanced tree skiing. This terrain will be served by a fixed-grip quad chairlift. The Steep Gullies will be labeled as extreme terrain, with a double-black diamond rating. The terrain in The Steep Gullies will be the most challenging terrain offered at Arapahoe Basin. Guests choosing to ski The Steep Gullies can access them from the Pallavicini Lift and will be required to hike or skin back along a cat track to return to the base of that lift.
The Beavers & The Steep Gullies will remain unpatrolled and unmitigated backcountry terrain for the remainder of the 2016-17 ski season.
The ski area has proposed the following construction timeline and trail map:
- Summer 2017: Construction will begin on 468 acres in The Beavers & The Steep Gullies, including egress routes, glading and cutting of groomed trails
- 2017-18 ski season: The Steep Gullies & a portion of The Beavers will open to skiing and riding as in-bounds hike-back terrain*
- Summer 2018: Installation of a fixed-grip quad chairlift in The Beavers commences
- 2018-19 ski season: The Beavers opens as lift-served terrain (339 acres)
- The Steep Gullies will remain hike-back terrain*
* skiers will hike along an egress route to the bottom of the Pallavicini Lift
For more information about The Beavers & The Steep Gullies, please visit: http://bit.ly/ABasinExpansion
U.S. Forest Service documents from the Arapahoe Basin expansion project can be found here.