Rollin’ Out The White Carpet This is big people. We’ve been working on this event for months. It all has to do with the SIA trade show coming to Denver next week. The two most important things you need to know about are the World’s Largest Apres Ski and Ride Party (in partnership with Visit Denver) and the fact that our members are giving trade show attendees free and discounted skiing and riding.
Let me back up a second in case you’re not with me. SIA stands for SnowSports Industries America. They are based in McLean, VA. They are the association of winter sports equipment manufactures and retailers. They have nearly 800 brand members, all the ones you’ve heard of and salivate over in REI; Obermeyer, Burton, Icelantic, Dakine, Patagonia, K2, you hear what I’m saying.
Every year SIA holds their trade show, which has a new name this year, Snow Show. I think they wanted something broad enough to show that they have all winter sport brands not just skiing and riding, and this is the best they could come up with. So the Snow Show is not only the largest gathering of winter sports manufacturers and retailers, it is the largest trade show to come to Denver. And, they’re going to be in Denver for the next 11 years. This will be the first year they are in Denver after being in Vegas for something like 30 years. I have a fact sheet on this somewhere but not in front of me right now.
Now the good stuff, as a welcome to attendees of the Snow Show happening January 28-31, Colorado Ski Country USA (CSCUSA) and 21 of its member resorts are offering free and two-for-one skiing and riding to the more than 17,000 Snow Show participants, and, in partnership with Visit Denver, Ski Country member resorts are hosting the World’s Largest Aprs Ski and Ride Party in downtown Denver.
Let’s talk about the party first. It’s called the World’s Largest Aprs Ski and Ride Party. Again, I suppose the traditional Aprs or Aprs Ski was not inclusive enough of all the winter sports so someone came up with the exhausting title of Worlds Largest Aprs blah blah blah, you get the picture.
Open to both Snow Show attendees and Denver locals, the Aprs Party will be held January 28-30, 2010. Headlined by Aspen/Snowmass‘ live feed of ESPNs Winter X-Games Fourteen on a 26-foot screen in Skyline Park, many CSCUSA member resorts have partnered with a downtown bar or club for the three-day party. Individual resorts and downtown venues are offering their own combinations of party particulars including drawings for lift tickets and merchandise as well as food and drink specials.
Details on resort and venue parings and promotions are below and more information can be found at www.denverapres.com.
Aspen/Snowmass & Skyline Park Outdoor Viewing Party
* Aspen/Snowmass is screening Winter X Games on a 26-foot inflatable screen in Skyline Park, located in the heart of downtown Denver along the 16th Street Mall and at the base of the large Westin Hotel. Outdoor public screenings will be in Hi-Def with tiered viewing.
* The resort will host a beer garden, along with other food and hot drink offerings.
* Public outdoor screenings will start at 5pm Thursday through Saturday night and end with each night’s telecast at 9pm. On Thursday and Saturday, a previous telecast will be shown prior to the live telecast.
Aspen/Snowmass & Earl’s, Paramount
* Aspen/Snowmass will host Winter X Games viewing parties at two downtown Denver locations (The Paramount and Earl’s).
* Staff will be outfitted in Aspen/Snowmass and Winter X Games gear.
* Each location will be decked out in branded glassware for drink service and other resort-themed. decorations, such as banners, posters, and table tents.
SolVista Basin & Rialto Caf with Grand Marnier
* On Friday, January 29th from 8:00pm to 12:00am, SolVista will take over Rialto Caf with Grand Marnier
* SolVista will offer Grand Marnier drink specials for the duration of the convention, and other selected drink specials.
* Resort reps will be giving out lift tickets, golf passes and Grand Marnier gifts and free drinks.
* SolVista and Rialto will also display an ice sculpture with luge.
Powderhorn & Marlowes
* Powderhorn and Marlowes are partying all three nights from 5-10pm.
* They are hosting drink specials and vendor giveaways every hour.
* Guests who order the featured drink can receive a free lift ticket (up to 100 given away each night).
* Guests can register to win weekend getaways to Powderhorn including 1 night lodging and 2 lift tickets, Loki outerwear, and a Burton snowboard
Echo Mountain & The Rio Grande
* Echo and the Rio are celebrating the full three nights of Aprs.
* The two are offering drink specials all day and night to anyone with an SIA badge.
* Echo Mountains street team will be out in full force with swag, tickets and more.
Loveland & Katie Mullens
* Another three night gig
* Loveland is giving away Loveland swag, lift tickets and 4-Paks each night and even a 2009-10 Season Pass on Saturday night.
* Thursday night features a piano sing-a-long at 9:30pm.
* Friday from 5:00 – 8:00pm, Pairadeux takes the stage followed by the resident DJ at 10:00pm.
* The Potcheen Folk Band on Saturday night plays Celtic Pirate Punk Rock at 10:00pm.
* Drink specials all weekend long.
* Katie Mullens and Jaegermeister will also have an ice luge on the patio on Saturday night.
Monarch & Blake Street Vault
* Three nights of aprs is happening at the Monarch & Blake Street Vault.
* The resort is giving away tons of lift tickets each day and one snow cat trip will be given away each day.
Telluride & Appaloosa Grill
* Telluride and Appaloosa will give away lift tickets, swag and offer drink and food specials.
Other resort-bar match-ups for the Aprs party include: Copper Mountain & Lucky Strike Lanes, Winter Park & Wynkoop, Steamboat & Hard Rock Caf, Arapahoe Basin & Tilted Kilt, Durango Mountain Resort & Rock Bottom Brewery
Now, the free skiing and riding. First I must make clear that this is only offered to registered Snow Show attendees. Ski Country is providing free and discounted skiing and riding, an unprecedented perk, to those coming to the first-ever Snow Show in Denver.
CSCUSA and SIA provided registered Snow Show attendees with coupons for free and two-for- one lift tickets for use at 21 member resorts for three days before and/or three days after the Snow Show. So all you Snow Show attendees will be able to take full advantage of the world-class terrain that makes Colorado Ski Country the top destination for skiing and riding.
Details regarding free and discounted lift ticket offers can be found by visiting www.snowsports.org.
Resorts offering free and discounted skiing and riding include: Arapahoe Basin, Aspen Highlands, Aspen Mountain, Buttermilk, Copper Mountain, Crested Butte, Echo Mountain, Eldora, Howelsen, Loveland (two-for-one offer only), Monarch Mountain, Powderhorn, Purgatory at Durango Mountain Resort, Ski Cooper, Snowmass, SolVista Basin, Steamboat, Sunlight, Telluride, Winter Park and Wolf Creek Ski Area.